I made this for someone recently and she couldn’t believe her 3 year old son loved it! Try it, it’s so simple you’ll love it too! (Also fabulous with shrimp or white beans…the buttery avocado with the spicy protein and crunchy garlicky croutons…)
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Giant labeled brand is especially good- support Mountaire : )
- Follow directions for grilling and dry rub/seasoning in the BBQ Chicken Recipe.
- Cook approximately 4 minutes a side or until a thermometer reads 150. Remove from grill and let rest on cutting board for a few minutes (it will continue cooking to temp. of 165).
While chicken is cooling, prepare other ingredients:
- Crisped Romaine lettuce (other types will do, but this nice crisp lettuce holds up nicely here)
- Fresh tomatoes (I used halved Juliets from my garden)
- Ripe Avocado cut into strips (cut in half, carefully peel off skin and then slice into same size as chicken will be or dice as same size as egg and croutons)
- 1-2 hard-boiled eggs (FYI you can use carton egg whites too- just stick in microwave for 1 minute or until set, then chop and use as normal)
- Thinly sliced sweet onion such as Vidalia
- Croutons (this time I had some herbed Focaccia bread- cut it up, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Broil in the oven for a few minutes, flipping as needed until crispy and browned: just keep an eye so it doesn’t burn!)
- Cheese (I really like crumbled feta and or a bit of sharp cheddar)
Prepare your dressing:
- 4 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Salsa
- few shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce
Stir together, adjust salsa and hot sauce to taste.
Slice your cooled chicken into strips, layer on the lettuce, add your egg, tomatoes,onion, avocado, cheese, croutons and drizzle your dressing.