I heard a while back, coworkers discuss making chili and how it would take all day in the crockpot to get just right. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the crockpot (especially for my refried beans) but … I also want to be able to create a fantastic comforting meal within an hour of getting home from work.
Done and done.
|Cowgirl Beans Chili||
- spray oil
- large chopped onion & 2 minced garlic cloves
- peppers (2 bell, & 2 of a spicy: jalepeno/poblano/serrano OR chipotle in adobo), minced
- 2 zucchinis cubed
- 4-5 portobello mushrooms or package of baby bella mushrooms cubed
- 2 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Tomato & Beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups black beans (canned rinsed or cooked dried)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Spray your deep pot with oil
- Over medium high heat saute your onions, garlic, peppers
- Add zucchini & mushrooms saute until browned.
- Add corn and spices.
- Turn up heat and add tomatoes, beans and water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed, let simmer for about 20 minutes (just enough time to pop your cornbread in the oven and spin your salad!)