This came out of a desire to eat some items in the fridge that needed to be used. Honestly, I had never had okra before and was inspired to grab some at the Farmer’s Market to try. According to online foodies, it needed to be thinly sliced right before you cook it and pan-fried super hot to sear in the moisture. The polenta I sometimes buy in the prepared rolls at Trader Joe’s or Wegmans, just slice and brown on each side. We had dinner in under 30 min. and no food went to waste, perfect.
|Quick Fix: Fried Egg Polenta Cakes with Spicy Okra & Tomatoes||
- half a large onion, diced
- 1-2 hot peppers of choice (or sub mild)
- 3 garlic cloves
- Okra, about 1/2 lb. rinsed and dried in kitchen towel
- Tomatoes, diced about 1 1/2-2 cups
- Tomato paste/Ketchup
- 1 cup veggie broth (or water mixed with veggie bouillon)
- Saute onion, peppers and garlic in a large saute pan with a little olive oil.
- Heat a separate saute pan over high heat, add vegetable oil. Slice okra on bias to get longer slices. When oil begins smoking, add sliced Okra in single layer. Let sear, then stir to flip. Total of only 3-4 minutes cooking time.
- Add to sautéed veggies, add tomatoes, few tablespoons of tomato paste or ketchup and broth as well. Salt & lots of cracked black Pepper.
- Meanwhile slice polenta, spray okra pan with oil and begin browning one side over medium high heat. About 3 min. check for browness/crispness and flip.
- Taste Okra mixture, adjust seasonings/more tomato paste, add hot pepper flakes if desired.
- Cook eggs over easy when all is done and seasoned to liking. (Crack in medium high heat pan sprayed with oil, let cook until whites almost set and bottom browned, season heavily S&P, flip, turn off heat.
- Plate browned Polenta, Okra & Tomatoes and egg on top.