Have a jar of pasta sauce, a box of pasta and a loaf of plain crusty bread but want to make it a little more interesting (and veggiefied) tonight? This quick fix will have a tasty dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
Quick Fix: Roasted Eggplant Penne & Roasted Garlic Bread
: Cowgirl Beans
I love Asian eggplant; the thin light purple ones. They are delicate and buttery and cook more quickly than their aubergine cousins. The traditional large dark purple eggplant will work just as well however. Timeline: Preheat your oven. Put water on to boil. Prep eggplant while roast garlic. Heat bread while roasting eggplant. Cook pasta when you pull out garlic.
- 1 Jar Sauce (homemade or all natural brand)
- 1 Box Penne pasta
- 3 Asian Eggplant or 1 large Aubergine, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 loaf of Ciabatta or other crusty loaf
- 1 head of garlic, all cloves separated from paper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place garlic cloves in a baker or piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil, place in oven.
- Check for doneness after 20 min. by smooshing with a fork, you want a creamy consistency.
- When done, spread between slices of crusty bread and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Pop whole loaf back in oven for 5-10 minutes to heat through/ broil top
- Boil water for pasta
- Spread your eggplant on a cookie sheet, spray with oil and S&P
- Roast about 20 minutes, check softness and continue to roast until soft and tasty
- Meanwhile cook pasta, heat sauce
- Stir roasted eggplant into pasta & sauce, adjust seasonings (maybe some red pepper flakes)