This dish is warm and comforting and a quick fix if using pearled barley, or ready in an hour if using hulled/whole barley. Perfectly suited to enjoy steaming in a mug….
|Quick Fix: Barley Stew||
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Feel free to sub whatever veggies you have, broccoli would be a great. I had a box of quick cooking Barley which makes this recipe come together in much less time. However, whole barley or hulled Barley is a much better choice nutrition wise, packed full of fiber and other important nutrients. If you have the time (1 hr) go with the real stuff.
- 2 Garlic cloves Minced
- 1 Onion Minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 Yellow Squash Chopped
- Mushrooms chopped
- Green beans (frozen or fresh)
- Spices (Rosemary, Oregano, Salt & Pepper, Red pepper flakes)
- 4 cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Quick cooking Barley (Pearled that has been steamed & dried like oats)
- Saute garlic & onions until brown, add rest of veggies.
- Brown slightly, add spices (start with tsp. if not sure amount).
- Add water & Barley, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover.
- If using quick barley, check in 8-9 minutes (45 min. for hulled/whole barley),Taste, add more seasoning if needed (i.e. is it bland? Add few more tsp.at a time of herbs., stir, taste again).
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe