This vegetarian take on French Onion soup builds on the flavors of slowly caramelized onions in a balsamic reduction. I used the picture from my award-winning caramelized onions because sometimes food disappears fast around here.
|Caramelized French Onion Soup||
Recipe Type: entrée, Appetizer
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
The optional ingredients are wine (just add more water) and cheese, omit if vegan. You can use a veggie bouillon cube and water in place of the veggie stock.
- Caramelize Onions
- 4-6 onions, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup good dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Finish Soup
- 2 bay leaves
- thyme, salt & pepper
- red wine (optional)
- 6-7 cups water or veggie stock (or mixture of the 2)
- slice of organic cheese, Gruyure or Swiss (optional)
- Spray your pot with olive oil, add onions and garlic.
- Cook over medium-low heat until begin to color a bit.
- Add balsamic and brown sugar.
- Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and let caramelize, stirring occasionally, 30-40 minutes.
- After dark, golden brown, add wine and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and let reduce about 5 min.
- Add 2 tbls of flour and stir to coat. Cook over low heat about 10 min. (This will thicken the soup a bit).
- Then add bay leaves, teaspoon of thyme, S&P, 1/2-1 cup wine and 6-7 cups water.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, then check taste, and re-season with thyme and S&P as needed.
- If using cheese, place slices over oven proof mugs or crocks filled with soup in oven and broil until browned and beginning to crisp.
- Serve with warm baguette for sopping up tastiness.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe