As the weather turns colder this Quick Fix is a staple in our house. I prep the few ingredients, throw them in our rice cooker and like a mini-crockpot it cooks them perfectly and turns itself to warm when the dish is ready.
Quick Fix: Spicy Rice Cooker Beans & Rice
: Cowgirl Beans
Cooked beans and or rice roughly doubles from the dried amount (I.e. ½ cup dried beans = 1 cup cooked). Therefore, one serving of beans or rice is ¼ dried or ½ cup cooked. Use the base of a grain+a bean+2 veggies and see what yummy concoctions you come up with!
- 1 Garlic clove, pressed or minced
- ½ Onion diced
- ½ cup torn bite size pieces of collards or other greens & Handful fresh diced tomato
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Sprinkle of Spices (Salt & Pepper, Red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano etc.)
- 2½ cups water
- 2 Tbls.-1/4 cup Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbls.-1/4 cup organic Ketchup or Tomato Paste
- 1½ cup Grain (Brown Rice, Barley etc.) + ½ cup dried Beans (or 1 can)
- 2 cups Grain & Bean Mix
- Plug in rice cooker (or turn on stove w/small stockpot).
- Put in garlic, onion, let brown.
- Add grains, beans, canned tomatoes,Greens, spices, and water.
- Stir, cover and leave to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Check taste and tenderness (add more water if too dry, add additional spices if needed).
- Stir in Hot Sauce & Ketchup & Fresh Tomatoes.
- Let cook additional 10-15 minutes (or ours automatically turns to "warm").
- Serve in a mug with a side salad.