Bubbles & Squeaks is a traditional English dish similar to a hash made with leftovers in a hot skillet. We love to make it after Thanksgiving by heating up our large griddle and frying leftover piles of green beans, pieces of squash and sweet potato and spoonfuls of mashed potatoes into warm, crispy little patties. This was such a tasty way to eat leftovers I decided to try it with some of the other staples we have in the fridge. Since we already eat a lot of my homemade hummus and the consistency is similar to mashed potatoes, preparing it Bubbles & Squeaks style was a delicious idea. It’s great when I’m short on time and we are both staring into the fridge 5 minutes past supper time.
|Bubbles & Squeaks Hummus Burger and Green Beans||
- Buns (Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat)
- Cooked Green Beans
- Parmesan (optional)
- Heat up your skillet or griddle to medium high
- Spray some oil, sprinkle some Parmesan if using and plop a big spoonful of hummus on-top
- Cook about 2-3 minutes, check underside for crispy brownness
- Repeat & flip
- Remove from pan, add green beans, salt & pepper and a bit more oil if needed (they will pick up any bits of hummus, cheese and oil).
- Saute until browned about 3 minutes
- Lightly toast bun on griddle
- Place patty on toasted bun
- Serve with green beans