A spicy filling goes nicely with the smooth and creamy filling of a perfectly baked sweet potato. Chickpeas (Garbanzos) are a white round bean with a slightly nutty flavor and are full of fiber, manganese, folate and protein. This is a quick base recipe that can be switched out with any other type of bean. I make this quite often and we also love it with black beans.
|Sweet Potato with Spicy Mexican Chickpeas||
- can of chickpeas or cooked dry
- can of diced tomatoes
- diced onion & garlic
- Mexican spices (cumin, oregano, cocoa powder, dried chilies, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika,onion powder)
- Organic ketchup or tomato paste
- Sweet potato
- Cook your sweet potatoes at 300 degrees for 2-2.5 hrs. or until tender.
- In a pan, sauté your garlic & onions about 2-3 min. until fragrant and colored.
- Add your beans, tomatoes and spices, to taste.
- Cook over medium low about 10 minutes.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of ketchup/paste, stir and let cook 5 minutes more. Add more to taste or to thicken. Adjust seasonings.
- Spoon over sweet potato and serve with greens or salad.