This is a hearty, delicious soup, full of vitamin A, C, K, fiber, B6, magnesium, folate, and iron! Its warm and comforting, perfect for a snowy afternoon!
- 1/2 cup dried white beans (about 1-1 1/2 cups cooked)
- onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups water + vegetable bouillon cube (or stock)
- 1 can chopped Roma tomatoes
- sweet potato, chopped
- carrot sliced (I keep food processor sliced carrots in the freezer and just thow in at the end)
- chopped cabbage (1 large Savoy)
- 1 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dried shell pasta
- 2 tbls. balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
Rinse beans, cover with water and soak about 4 hours. Drain, add to pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook until tender about 1-1.5 hrs. You will add them to the soup toward the end.
Saute onion, garlic about 2-3 min., then add the rest of ingredients through bay leaf. Simmer about 20 minutes.
Add pasta and cook per instructions (about 8 min.)
Drain beans and add to pot with balsamic vinegar, season with salt & pepper, remove bay leaf.
Whip up some cornbread to go with…
Sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh herbs, serve with cornbread….