So lentils may be one of my new favorite foods. They are simple and quick and super healthy; high in folate, protein, fiber, iron, potassium, manganese etc. In this recipe I used Red Lentils (split) which cook in about 20 minutes, the green variety takes about 30.
Red Lentil Curry
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 2 handfuls spinach (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped OR 1 tbl. dried
- 3-4 tbsp your favorite curry powder
- 1 ½ cups red lentils, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
Add 3 1/2 cups of boiling water and your lentils.
Griddled Naan (Flatbread)
Bubbles mean its ready to flip
This is a quick and easy bread; only a 40 minute rise time and then you throw on a hot griddle to finish. I modified Baking Illustrated’s “Pan-Grilled Flatbread” recipe. It makes 8, serving 6-8.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour*
- 1 cup bread flour *
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) Yeast
- 2 tsp. Sugar or Agave
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup Yogurt (or 1/4 cup milk+1 tbl. vinegar)
- Garlic salt
*I used 2 1/2 cups of my own milled flour + 1/2 cup of King Arthur white whole wheat flour + 2 tbl. vital wheat gluten to make it chewy and light.
In a mixer, stir flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
|Use your chewy, garlicky wheat pillow to scoop up the curry num-nums…|