This is a delicious summery quick bread scented with lemon zest and juice. It is coated in a light lemon sugar glaze, giving it a slight crunch. I modified “Glazed Lemon Loaf” from Essentials of Healthful Cooking by William Sonoma to create it. It is lovely on a brunch menu or as a light dessert for a supper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Spray two small 5″x 3″ pans or one large 9″x 5″.
- 1 1/2 cups flour (ground Prairie White Wheat)
- 2/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- finely shredded zest of 1 organic lemon
- kosher salt
1. Whisk together in a large bowl.
- 2 eggs
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Whisk together in a separate bowl.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, fold with a spatula until just combined. (should be lumpy).
4. Pour into pans (should be about half full).
5. Bake until deeply browned and feels springy to touch about 30-35 minutes, or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Set on w ire rack to cool, use a skewer or thin knife to make 10 or so uniformly spaced holes (for glaze).
- 1/3 cup sugar
- juice of 2 large lemons
- lemon zest from 1 organic lemon
In a small pan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Boil about 3 minutes or until frothy. Pour over bread.
Let cool completely in pan, run a think knife around edge to loosen, carefully invert onto the rack and lift away the pan. Turn upright onto a plate and serve!